Search
  • Goodwill Fire Company #1

The Invisible Killer - what you need to know

Often called the invisible killer, carbon monoxide is an invisible odorless, colorless gas created when fuels burn incompletely. In the home, heating and cooking equipment that burn fuel can be the sources of carbon monoxide.


Make sure you and your family are safe from this invisible killer by ensuring you have working CO detectors in your home. See below some from tips and facts related to carbon monoxide.





Symptoms of CO poisoning


CO enters the body through breathing. CO poisoning can be confused with flu symptoms, food poisoning and other illnesses. Some symptoms include shortness of breath, nausea, dizziness, light headedness or headaches. High levels of CO can be fatal, causing death within minutes.


The concentration of CO, measured in parts per million (ppm) is a determining factor in the symptoms for an average, healthy adult.

  • 50 ppm: No adverse effects with 8 hours of exposure.

  • 200 ppm: Mild headache after 2-3 hours of exposure.

  • 400 ppm: Headache and nausea after 1-2 hours of exposure.

  • 800 ppm: Headache, nausea, and dizziness after 45 minutes; collapse and unconsciousness after 1 hour of exposure.

  • 1,000 ppm: Loss of consciousness after 1 hour of exposure.

  • 1,600 ppm: Headache, nausea, and dizziness after 20 minutes of exposure.

  • 3,200 ppm: Headache, nausea, and dizziness after 5-10 minutes; collapse and unconsciousness after 30 minutes of exposure.

  • 6,400 ppm: Headache and dizziness after 1-2 minutes; unconsciousness and danger of death after 10-15 minutes of exposure.

  • 12,800 ppm: Immediate physiological effects, unconsciousness and danger of death after 1-3 minutes of exposure.


Source:

https://www.nfpa.org/Public-Education/Staying-safe/Safety-equipment/Carbon-monoxide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7GIOzABRHA


15 views0 comments