Prevent Home Fires
Updated: Dec 29, 2021
Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling or broiling food. Turn off the stove if you leave the kitchen for even a short period of time.
Wear short, close-fitting or tightly rolled sleeves when cooking.
Position barbecue grills at least 10 feet away from siding and deck railings, and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
Keep a fire extinguisher available.
Electrical and Appliance Safety
Frayed wires can cause fires. Replace all worn, old or damaged appliance cords immediately and do not run cords under rugs or furniture.
If an appliance has a three-prong plug, use it only in a three-slot outlet. Never force it to fit into a two-slot outlet or extension cord.
Immediately shut off, then professionally replace, light switches that are hot to the touch and lights that flicker.
Keeping Children Safe
Take the mystery out of fire play by teaching children that fire is a tool, not a toy.
Store matches and lighters out of children's reach and sight, preferably in a locked cabinet.
Never leave children unattended near operating stoves or burning candles, even for a short time.
Fireplaces and Woodstoves
Inspect and clean woodstove pipes and chimneys annually and check monthly for damage or obstructions.
Use a fireplace screen heavy enough to stop rolling logs and big enough to cover the entire opening of the fireplace to catch flying sparks.
Make sure the fire is completely out before leaving the house or going to bed.
Portable Space Heaters
Keep combustible objects at least three feet away from portable heating devices.
Only buy heaters evaluated by a nationally recognized laboratory, such as Underwriters Laboratories (UL).
Check to make sure the portable heater has a thermostat control mechanism and will switch off automatically if the heater falls over.
Only use crystal clear K-1 kerosene in kerosene heaters. Never overfill it. Use the heater in a well-ventilated room away from curtains and other flammable items.
More Fire Prevention Tips
Never use a stove range or oven to heat your home.
Keep combustible and flammable liquids away from heat sources.
Portable generators should NEVER be used indoors and should only be refueled outdoors and in well ventilated areas.